Friday, July 16, 2010

How much is enough?

Dear Friends in Christ -

It's something I struggle with often, this question of "how much is enough?" I can always imagine new things to reach for, better things for the world. I think it may be that too many days end for me in a sigh of sadness rather than a cry of victory because I don't have a clear sense of when there is "enough."

The car that is parked next to mine here at the retreat center has a bumper sticker that says, "We can't cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy." Hmmm . . . It occurs to me, then, that part of choosing to live in joy may involve understanding when it is time to work on cures for the sorrows and when it is time to ponder and to marvel, to worship and to rest. And when not to take it all so seriously and just to laugh!

I encountered this quote today, which has encouraged my heart. The great irony of it is that the person who said it (Albert Einstein) was PROFOUNDLY, MIRACULOUSLY productive and did MUCH to better the world:

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tried merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day."

May we all be so full of wonder . . . and contribute "enough"!
Blessings,
Janet+

No comments:

Post a Comment