Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day in Israel

Dear Friends in Christ -

Today is our third day in Israel. Saturday, we landed in Tel Aviv at around 2:00 in the afternoon, and then ended our day with a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to Tiberias, to a hotel overlooking the Sea of Galilee. When we got to the hotel, my Israeli friend of 31 years, Tamar, had already left a phone message welcoming me to her country. Though I was thoroughly exhausted by the nearly 24 hours of travel time from home to hotel, I felt a thrill running through me: finally I had arrived in the country of my friend, whom I had promised to visit all those years ago!

Sunday (yesterday) was a holiday: Pentecost. Things all around the country were slowed down for the celebration, a day of getting together with family and friends for Jews and a day of special worship for Christian. But we Americans were busy, busy, busy with the first day of our pilgrimage. Whoever planned this trip wanted to make sure we got our money's worth! On the first day alone, we visited five places: Caesarea by the Sea (where Pilate had a home and where Paul was taken at the end of his life), Mount Carmel (where Elijah defeated the prophets of Baal), Megiddo (an ancient tel at the edge of the Armageddon Valley), Mt. Precipice (where Jesus was said to have eluded his pursuers) and Nazareth (where Jesus' family made their home). For me, this day was a dazzling, overwhelming cacophony of sights and sounds, words and landscapes, history and Scripture, culture and politics. It was like starting to learn a language by full immersion!

Today, (Monday) is Memorial Day back at home. I was especially aware of the holiday for two reasons. First, because my kids are off from school, and I missed being with them. And second, because Memorial Day is about remembering those who have given their lives in times of war. While I was praying for our veterans and their families, I realized that if I were to name a theme for today's travels, I would say "war." At Hatzoh, we saw the city Joshua conquered and burned to the ground in a fire so hot that it cracked the bricks of the buildings and left a residue of black ash over the ruins. At Dan, we saw the place where David ran away from vengeful Saul, where Jeroboam tried to gain support by building a forbidden altar after his war with Rehoboam, where Abraham fought with the Canaanites after his brother Lot was taken hostage, and where notorious King Ahab built a city to fortify his power in the region. (In this and every place we've visited, it seems like the layers of history are slathered on top of each other like a seven-layer cake!) After relaxing near the waters of Banyas Falls (no religious significance, just the largest falls in Israel) and seeing the temples to foreign gods at Caesarea Philippi (the region where Jesus had the "who do you say that I am?" discussion with his disciples), we visited a fortress created by the Crusaders in the 13th century and the Valley of Tears where the War of 1973 started between Israel and the Syrians. Wow. I was really struck with the amount of violence in the Bible and in this Biblical land. Where will it end? When will it end? What does it mean that Jesus is the Prince of Peace?

Thus far, this pilgrimage is stirring more questions than answers. But I trust that the steps along this wandering Way will begin to take on a rhythm which will carry me deeper into God's heart.

Blessings,
Janet+

PS - On a mundane level, the accommodations at the Scots Hotel are marvelous, and the food is Ahhhhh-MAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment